The lightened-up luscious sauce elevates this easy casserole recipe over standard broccoli and cheese side dishes.
- 2 Slices Sourdough or Multi-Grain Sourdough Bread
- 2 Lbs Broccoli Florets Fresh
- 3 Tbsp 100% Grass Fed Butter Divided
- 2 Tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Cups Diced Onions
- 4 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1/3 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3 1/2 Cups Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
- 6 Oz Cream Cheese
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Aminos
- 3/4 Tsp Ground Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp Sea Salt
- 2 Cups Shredded Colby Jack Cheese Divided
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. Spread the breadcrumbs on a baking sheet and bake until dry and crispy, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring 1 to 2 inches of water to a boil in a large pot fitted with a steamer basket. Steam broccoli until just tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Chop coarsely and spread evenly in the prepared baking dish.
- Increase oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter and the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle almond flour over the vegetables and cook for 1 minute. While stirring, slowly pour in chicken broth. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in cream cheese, coconut aminos, pepper and sea salt, cook, stirring, until smooth, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese. Pour the cheese sauce over the broccoli.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Combine the melted butter and the breadcrumbs in a medium bowl. Spread evenly over the broccoli mixture. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling around the edges, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Tip: Replace part of the chicken
225 calories; protein 10.9g; carbohydrates 13.1g; dietary fiber 3.2g; sugars 2.1g; fat 15.1g; saturated fat 7.8g; cholesterol 24.9mg; vitamin a iu 2623.1IU; vitamin c 72.9mg; folate 76.3mcg; calcium 214.7mg; iron 1.4mg; magnesium 33.7mg; potassium 411.5mg; sodium 330.9mg; thiamin 0.1mg. Exchanges: 1 1/2 fat, 1 1/2 fat, 1/2 starch, 1/2 high-fat protein
Interested in Wellness Coaching or Nutritional Guidance?
Fill out our online contact form or Call Now 513-205-6543
Follow us on Social Media: